Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The big 2 zero zero

So I'm 38 now and I'm thinking the next big number I need to worry about is the big 4 oh right?

Yeahhhhhh. Not so much. Seems I forgot about another number.

The big 200. As in 200 pounds.

Dude, for real.

I'm not sure what happened. I started Crossfit at 195 or so, then did the Paleo diet and went down to 185. Then just today I weighed myself at the office as part of the Wellness challenge thing and saw that I was 200 pounds.

Two hundred. WTF?

I'd be more worried about it but my stomach is smaller even though I weigh more. Bumper says I'm getting my body is getting "more dense".

Yes, I know, lots of Portuguese jokes to be made after that. Insert "dense" pocho jokes here.

But seriously, I have noticed that some long time weight limits have gone up as well, strengthwise. Here are some observations:

- Since high school I've never shoulder pressed more than 135 pounds. I'm doing 155 now and that's still not my one rep max.

- I'm up to or close to deadlifting 300 pounds. Thanks to Kats who always inspires me to push myself when I see him throwing on the big weight.

- I'm back to benching 225, which is unreal considering I ripped my pectoral last year. My chest is deformed but getting back to full strength.

So I guess I can't expect those kinds of improvements in strength without some weight gain.

But damn, 200? Time to eat more salad.

1 comment:

  1. Rod,
    Dont get discouraged, I am in the same boat as you. I have been on the challenge three times now and the lowest I have ever gotten has been 185. However once I break the strict diet routine and start having cheats my weight slowly creaps back up to 190-195, with some days getting as high as 198. The trick is to try to stick with the diet as strict as you can without going insane. I know this is easier said than done, but it is meant to be a lifestyle change, and the more you so it the easier it gets to stick to the plan. You find better recipies, you find greater mental fortitude against cheating, and because your body gets used to doing without the excess sugar and grains and dairy. For me I am lactose intolerant so getting rid of the dairy was easy, but now I hardly even eat grains and rice, and have less cravings for it too. The sugars and sweets are still a sticking point but hopefully i can get through that some day. Try asking Lori and Kristi for some recipies. Kristi has some unreal recipies in her arsenal of coocking and Lori and I have found some good stuff to.
    As for the strength and muscle, I think this is a huge contributor to your weight gain. I have watched you getting beastly strong at all your lifts, and can only wish I was as strong as you are in the upper body. I inspire you with my deadlifts? well you inspire me with your bench press, shoulder press and handstand pushups (or upside down pushups as you like to call them), and your cardio is getting better too. I have been looking at how you have improved and I can see the physical changes. You are looking more cut lately and more solid than when you first started.
    With all that being said I hope your back gets better. Try massages, it really helps me and Lori and we can get you in touch with some good people that give nice strong massages to work out the tightness on your back. Also don's forget to stretch before and after every workout, and not only your back but the hips, okole muscles and even between the shoulder blades can all contribute to the lower back being tight. Try the one I showed you with the kettlebell and the foam roller, and do it every day for a week. hopefully that will help. Get better soon so you can get back in the gym and push me some more!! :)

    ReplyDelete