Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Epic fail and Kehau has the same birthday as my grandma

First off, happy birthday to Kehau, aka Tehau, the strongest Samoan/Tongan hybrid woman on Maui.

She turned the big 30 today as my grandma turned 83. Slight age difference between the two.

We had a birthday party this past weekend for Kehau, during which we celebrated only as RFMer's should.

We did WOD's. Well, not me. I was drinking. But her husband Frank and Ikaika were all over it.

By the way, the WOD was ridiculous. It was the "do as many burpees as you can in 7 minutes or until you die" WOD. Here are the guys in action on Saturday:




Yeah, sorta kinda nuts.

In any case I did NOT do this WOD. In fact I haven't been doing any WOD's lately, hardly ever. Combination of stupid after work meetings and more stupid meetings.

Then yesterday I tried to workout, I was excited even. We had this cool WOD upon the board that had like 8 different movements. First was box jumps and push-ups then pull-ups and double unders followed by kettlebell swings and the 100 meter dash. Fun stuff.

Started out well too. Derek did four rounds and I was right behind him and with 3 rounds and 6 reps.

But then I started really SUCKING at the pull-ups like I've never sucked before. And my double unders were there the first round, I went really fast and again I had a witness, Kristi this time.

After that though, I was out of gas. I started feeling dizzy like I just gave blood or something and when the round was over I laid down and couldn't get back up to do the KB swings.

What the hell man? My back was still in one piece and this was a good mix of movements, some upper body and some lower, perfect for me or so I thought.  What the hell happened?

Whatever the case I think I need to get a little more regular about my training. And start eating well again. My body cries out for another round of Paleo and I need it to train for the Warrior Dash.

Seriously, because today sucked.

Here's something that does not suck though, my buddy Josh is back at the gym.

Josh started coming to RFM about two years ago then dropped out after about a month and a half. He just had a lot of things going on but I knew he'd be back one day.

Good to have you back bro, hope you start reading the blog again.

Okay folks, tomorrow is another workout. Let's hope I don't almost pass out again.

Rod


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the bday shoutout and thanks for continuing the Samoan/Tongan hybrid rumor. That's just great.

    You're right, though, that faint feeling you were telling us about at Ale House seems like a combination of diet, irregular exercise and stress (you mention lots of meetings, high workload). You and Josh were good on paleo -- maybe you need to reinstate it? It doesn't make sense to work so hard during certain WODs and not see overall results, or to have access to such good training at RFM and to not take full advantage of it consistently. Will we always get the opportunity to work out like this for the rest of our lives? Seize the day, dude! Get ultra healthy now in all areas and don't wait. You have been on track before -- let's set realistic diet and training goals and then go get them. Seriously, this is health we're talking about. What could be more essential?
    (Reflective, mature, wise 30-year-old Tehau has spoken)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I ate 5 or 6 cups of fruit during your surprise birthday party, what could be more healthy than that? But I have another theory about what happened yesterday, stay tuned and read the next post.

    ReplyDelete